I thought it would be helpful to give some tips on what to pack when moving abroad, in my case, to Florence, Italy. Before I moved, I scoured the internet for lists of things to pack because I felt packing my “life” away for 3 months was very overwhelming. Anyway i’m here to ease some anxieties!
The list below presents the bare minimum, but if you have more, and more space, then feel free to pack more.
Keep in mind I came to Florence for a study program, and the house I am staying in is fully fitted with plates, cutlery, washing machine, tv, etc. You may have to adjust this list to your own needs!
Money: 100-200 Euros cash. This will help you settle in, and help with possible cab fares, buying food, and other necessities.
Food: I would take some snacks to get you through your first night, before you get accostomed to grocery shopping here. Take:
- Apples (4)
- A bag of nuts (almonds, etc)
- Instant noodles just in case!
- Some tinned goods.
Clothes: I came in the summer, so it was still very hot. For summer weather I would advise:
- 2 light jackets (Plus one puffy jacket if you will stay until winter)
- 4 pairs of shoes (comfortable sandals, comfortable flats, 2 pairs trainers/sneakers or heavy duty shoes. This way it’s very versatile, you will not be hot in the summer, you will have something that can be dressed up, and you have something for longer walks. P.s heels are NOT for beginners in these streets, but if you are bold, go for it!)
- 2 bags (One cross body for evenings, one bigger for everyday)
- 3 pairs of jeans/ trousers (I wear jeans a lot. So does everyone else here. You can also bring some leggings or comfortable smart trousers in a dark colour if you prefer.)
- 1 pair of shorts (It gets very very hot in the summer, so for the extra hot days these would come in handy)
- 1 skirt (See above. But a skirt is less “touristy” I would say)
- 4 summer tops (Sleeveless or with slight sleeves. In plain colours. One that is suitable for dinners/bars)
- 4 Long sleeve shirts (I’m biased as I wear a lot of oversized shirts. It gives that casual, cool but put together vibe, one white, one black, others as you wish)
- 3 dresses (2 casual one smarter)
- One nice outfit (consisting of smart top and smart trousers, perhaps a blazer. You never know when you will need it.)
- One everyday scarf
- Pyjamas (3 pairs, plus 2 long sleeved comfortable jumpers/sweaters for the occasional cold night )
- 2 weeks worth of socks and underwear!
For winter weather:
I would modify the list by taking some:
- Black ankle boots – these are common here and comfortable and warm with jeans and socks.
- 2/3 sweaters (the weather will change on you and it will get very cold!)
- 1 thick scarf
- 1 hat
- 1 pair of gloves
For spring weather:
Can be similar to summer weather I would suppose, with more shirts, some light jackets, and an everyday scarf.
I would advise everyone to TAKE ONLY TRAVEL SIZE PRODUCTS!
- Toiletries (take travel size toothpaste, mouthwash, body wash, shampoo and conditioner. The stuff here in Italy is such good quality, the soaps etc smell and feel amazing and are great for the skin. Having said that, if you have favourites or necessities please do take them. Take the travel sizes then you can buy larger size when you get here, saving lots of space)
- Makeup – take your foundation colour! Incase you cannot find it here, I would say everything else can be found here including eye-liner, mascara etc. There is a big Sephora!
- 1 nail file
- 1 pair of nail clippers
Extras: Perhaps most importantly, take an unlocked phone!!!!! Without this you will be lost without internet so please take one and go straight to a phone store!
Thats all for now! If you want me to do a clothes guide for men let me know and I will do that. Or if you have any questions, do let me know.
When will you be moving to Florence??